Title: Phi Epsilon Kappa, Alpha Kappa Chapter Records
ID: OGLMC 1423
Extent: 1.25 Linear Feet
Honorary physical education society, active on the UND campus since 1949
The national Physical Education honorary Phi Epsilon Kappa was founded in 1913 at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. The 25th collegiate branch of the organization was founded at the University of North Dakota in 1949 as the Alpha Kappa Chapter. This honorary society drew its prospective members from physical education majors and minors at the University, as well as local instructors and coaches at nearby schools. Members were exclusively male until the late 1970's as females in the field belonged to a separate honorary. Aside from promoting activities related to physical education, such as athletics, intramurals, and conferences, the chapter supported themselves throughout the school year and summer with fundraising from lifeguarding, and coat checks and program sales at campus athletic events. The honorary also encouraged philanthropic services, including sporting clinics, local refereeing, and hospitality and coffee rooms. The Alpha Kappa chapter received national recognition in the mid 1960s for its exceptional efficiency.
Subjects (links to similar collections)
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Source: University of North Dakota Athletics Department.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Phi Epsilon Kappa, Alpha Kappa Chapter Records. OGLMC 1423, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid migrated to Archon in December 2014.
Collection Material Type: University of North Dakota Records
Scope and Contents: The Phi Epsilon Kappa records include materials from 1945 to 1981, with most dating from the late 1960s to the early 1970s when the chapter's records were finely kept, largely due to the labors of member Don Eshelby. Much material is deficient from the self-titled "Seven Lean Years" which denoted the relative inactivity of the honorary until the mid 1950s. The records include the Constitution and By-Laws which predate the 1960's; insight into the organization's ritual and initiation ceremonies from the mid 1950s to the mid 1970s; membership listings from the mid 1960's to 1980, occasionally supplemented in the meeting minutes which discontinuously span 1950-1980; financial records from the early 1960s until the early 1980s; correspondence from the mid 1960s until 1981; and various newsletters from the early 1950s to 1981. Also included in the collection are 11 photographs, small portrait-size pictures sent to the campus chapter from alumni, as well as the chapter's Charter Plaque from April 30, 1949. The photographs are housed in Folder 46, while the plaque was placed on the shelves adjacent to the collection.