Title: Sigma Alpha Iota, Mu Chapter Records
ID: OGLMC 323
Extent: 3.25 Linear Feet
International music society for women, active on the UND campus since 1916
Sigma Alpha Iota, an international Music Fraternity for women, was founded on June 12, 1903, at the University of Michigan. The Mu chapter was formed on the University of North Dakota campus in 1916 as a part of Wesley College. When the music departments of UND and Wesley College combined in 1953, the fraternity was rechartered to UND. Sigma Alpha Iota alumnae members were later recognized as the Greater Grand Forks Alumnae Chapter in 1968.
Subjects (links to similar collections)
Acquired: Additional material was donated in 1981 (Acc.81-716), by Arthur Johnson, Grand Forks, North Dakota, on September 17, 1987 (Acc.87-1567), and by Charlotte Lewis, Grand Forks, North Dakota, on December 1, 1999 (Acc.99-2391).
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Donation; the original acquisition records are unavailable.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Sigma Alpha Iota, Mu Chapter Records. OGLMC 323, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid migrated to Archon in December 2014.
Collection Material Type: Organizational Records
Scope and Contents: The Sigma Alpha Iota, Mu Chapter Records date from 1916 to 1998 and consist mainly of five scrapbooks. Each of the scrapbooks contains newspaper clippings, concert programs, yearly membership bulletins, and photographs. Also included are loose photographs, concert programs, and meeting minutes.