P.E.O. Sisterhood was founded January 21, 1869, at Iowa Wesleyan University, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Seven women who attended the University met and organized P.E.O. as a philanthropic educational society. Today, the organization has numerous chapters throughout the United States. The local Chapter AI was organized April 22, 1952, by Lou Reading Gardner. Chapter AI holds meetings on the first and third Mondays of each month and members conduct their lives by the qualities of purity, justice, faith, truth, and love.
P.E.O. is a sisterhood active in charity, education, and the strengthening of future generations. Funds are raised, partly by dues, for numerous scholarships, loan programs, local charitable needs, and the support of Cottey College for Women in Missouri.
Additional material was donated by Arlene Wilson on December 5, 2003 (2003-2662) and by Dr. Gordon Iseminger, UND Department of History, on November 8, 2004 (2005-2741).
Additional material was purchased from Eliot Glassheim, Rare Books Dealer, Grand Forks, North Dakota (2004-2689).
The P.E.O. Chapter AI Records have been divided into five series:
Series 1: Yearbooks
Series 2: Conventions
Series 3: Scrapbooks
Series 4: Photographs
Series 5: Artifacts