Title: Washburn Lignite Coal Company Records
ID: OGLMC 553
Extent: 20.0 Linear Feet
Coal company headquartered in Wilton, North Dakota. Operational from 1900-1946
The Washburn Lignite Coal Company, located at Wilton, North Dakota, was the largest underground mining firm in the state from 1900-1928. In 1928, the Washburn Company was sold to the Otter Tail Power Company of Fergus Falls, Minnesota, in order to supply their electrical generating plants with lignite. Two years later, in March 1930, the coal lands were leased to the Truax-Traer Coal Company of Minot, North Dakota, and the old underground structure was converted to a large strip mining operation. In 1946 the mine was closed as a result of the rise in competitor fuels.
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Source: Albert V. Hartl, Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Otter Tail Power Company, Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Washburn Lignite Coal Company Records. OGLMC 553, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid migrated to Archon in October 2014.
Collection Material Type: Business Records
Scope and Contents: The Washburn Lignite Coal Company Records consist of business and financial materials dating from approximately 1928 to 1935. The collection is arranged by series of vouchers containing records of Company expenditures, bills, receipts, bank statements, tax returns, debts, expense accounts, bills of lading, coal sales, leasing contracts, and some correspondence. The vouchers are arranged first, in Boxes 1-13. Box 14 contains journal entries from 1930-1935, while Boxes 15 and 16 contain credit vouchers from 1928-1930.