Title: Camp Depression Documents
ID: UA 007
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Camp Depression was a concept for student housing at the University of North Dakota during the Great Depression.
Camp Depression opened October 21, 1933, at the University of North Dakota. It was designed to create low-cost housing for needy, but determined male students who wanted to obtain an education during the Great Depression. The camp consisted of six cabooses that were joined together and remodeled. Four cars were used for sleeping, a fifth was a combination kitchen/washroom, and a sixth was used as a study hall. Camp Depression residents paid their room and board by working four hours per week on campus. The residents shared cooking expenses, rotated mess duties in the kitchen and elsewhere, and enforced "quiet hours" for studying. Approximately 200 men lived in Camp Depression over its ten year existence. It closed after the 1942-1943 school year.
Subjects (links to similar collections)
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: The original acquisition information is unknown. The addition of folders 9 -12 and the videotape were deposited by Elmer Lian from Grand Forks, ND on July 26, 1994.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Camp Depression Documents. UA 7, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Collection Material Type: University of North Dakota Records
Scope and Contents: The Camp Depression Documents provide details about the operation of the camp from 1933 to 1944. These documents include work duties, camp rules/regulations, brochures, an advertisement from the Alumni Review, and correspondence from Camp Depression students in response to this ad.