The Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was founded on October 11, 1890, and incorporated by an act of Congress in 1896. Their objectives include historic preservation and the promotion of education and patriotism. Chapters are present in every state of the union, as well as several foreign countries. The Society holds its nationwide convention, the Continental Congress, every year during the week of April 19th, the anniversary of the Battle of Lexington, the first battle of the American Revolution. Membership in the Society is limited to women who descend from an ancestor who aided in achieving American independence.
The North Dakota Chapter began on October 3, 1895, with the appointment of Mrs. Francis G. Holly of Bismarck as the first State Regent. Attempts to organize statewide, however, were unsuccessful. Under the leadership of Mrs. Augusta Young, State Regent from 1915 until 1923, eight chapters were formed throughout the state, including: Valley City (1916), Bismarck (1918), Fargo (1919), Jamestown (1919), Grand Forks (1920), Mandan (1921), Devils Lake (1922), and Carrington (1923). Chapters in Minot (1925), Williston (1929) and Dickinson (1933) were added after Mrs. Young left office. Chapters at Bismarck, Mandan, Fargo and Grand Forks remain active. The Grand Forks chapter was disbanded in 1943, although it was re-established in 1991.
The North Dakota Daughters of the American Revolution have been very active in the field of historic preservation throughout the state. A few of their accomplishments include: presenting a rocking chair originally owned by General George A. Custer to the Custer House at Fort Lincoln State Park in Bismarck; the placing of a marker on the Red River Valley Ox Cart Trial; and the presentation of Theodore Roosevelt’s “Maltese Cross” cabin to the Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park in Medora. The group has also been active politically, lobbying on the local, state and national level regarding various subjects and individual pieces of legislation. They also continue to sponsor many patriotic events throughout North Dakota.
Additional donations were received from:
Mary Margaret Frank, Grand Forks, North Dakota, on May 18, 1981 (Accession 81-761)
Marian Huxsol, Manhattan Beach, California, through Mary Margaret Frank, Grand Forks, North Dakota, on January 11, 1983 (Accession 83-1054)
Unknown, Spring 1987 (Accession 87-1520)
Donation; Accession 79-580