The Newcomers Club of the University of North Dakota held its organizational meeting on Monday, November 19, 1956, at the home of Mrs. Roy Torgenson, 2112 6th Avenue, North. The club's purpose was to provide opportunities through which newcomers could become acquainted with the University community.
The Newcomers Club consisted of women on the faculty and wives of faculty members with the rank of instructor or higher, lecturers, and other persons whose main occupation was directly related to the academic community at the University of North Dakota. Membership was limited to three full school years after original eligibility for membership. If a woman became eligible the second semester, her membership was extended three academic years beyond the year in which she arrived at the University of North Dakota. When no longer a Newcomer, one then became a member of Faculty Wives. Honorary membership was given to the President's wife and the President of the Newcomers Club.
Organizational officers consisted of a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer, and Secretary-Publicity- Historian. A committee chairman was elected for each of the following: Social Committee, Newsletter Committee, and Membership-Notification Directory Committee. Co-Chairmen were elected for the Program Committee. The officers and committee chairmen constituted an executive board and performed the duties of the nominating committee. Officers and committee chairmen were elected at the April meeting from a slate presented by the nominating committee. They served for a term of one year. Dues were $3.00 per year and meetings of each interest group were held at least once a month. General membership meetings were held monthly.
Interest groups and activities of the club included: bowling, bridge, child study, ceramics, gourmet club, home arts, music and books, painting, photography, personal improvements, swimming, skating, and sewing. The club also presented annual fashion shows, contributed to the State School for the Blind in Grand Forks, and served as opera angels for the UND Music Department, sponsoring a "Night at the Opera."
The Newcomers Club and Faculty Wives, Women and Associates merged in September 1979 due to low membership in both groups. The proposal for merger took place on January 9, 1979 and was approved May 14, 1979.
Donation; Acc.# 89-1664