The P.E.O. Sisterhood was established January 21, 1869, in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, on the campus of Iowa Wesleyan University. The organization was established as a philanthropic and educational society for women. Although comprised of only seven members at its founding, P.E.O. now has chapters and members throughout the United States.
The second Grand Forks chapter to be established, Chapter T, was organized May 17, 1932. Chapter T was sponsored by Chapter D, the first chapter in Grand Forks. The first president was Chrissie Budge, herself a charter member of Chapter D. Founding members of Chapter T included Budge, Mable French, Gladys Vary, Ragna Taft, Vera Bollinger, Emma Robbins and Clara Hofto.
Chapter T has hosted several state conventions in addition to participating in many P.E.O. sponsored activities at local, state and national levels. It has also been responsible for sponsoring other P.E.O. chapters in the area. The Chapter has hosted many educational lectures and meetings for both its members and the greater community at large. Chapter T also raised funds for several P.E.O. projects, including the Peace Scholarship Fund and the Educational Fund. During World War II, Chapter T and the entire P.E.O. organization was very active in raising funds and boosting morale for the war effort.