What became known as the Beta Alpha Chapter of Theta Sigma Phi was established at the University of North Dakota in 1921. The group was originally known as Matrix until 1946, when the group joined Theta Sigma Phi. The organization is a national honorary society for women in journalism and communications. The objectives of Theta Sigma Phi were five-fold: to work for a free and responsible press; to unite women in all fields of communication; to recognize achievements of women in journalism; to maintain high professional standards; and to encourage members to greater individual effort.
In 1972, the national organization was renamed Women in Communications, Inc.
Located in University Publications:
The Lily, 1941-1949;
One Magic Hour: President John F. Kennedy Visits the University of North Dakota, Published by Theta Sigma Phi, 1963;
Theta Sigma Phi, Beta Alpha Chapter Objectives (undated);
Membership brochure, 1967;
Petition of Theta Sigma Phi from the Matrix, 1922