Amund S. Kleppe was born in Norway in 1857. He immigrated to the United States in 1880, spending time in Minnesota, as well as Steele County, North Dakota, before eventually settling near Hatton in Garfield Township, Traill County. He married Severine Haroldson in 1895. The couple had three children: Cecilia, Anna, and Sven.
Kleppe operated a farm and ran a threshing rig, before opening a watch repair and jewelry business in Hatton. Seeking a return to farming, Kleppe moved to East Fork Township in Williams County in November 1904. He was a founding member of East Fork Lutheran Church and was the first to be buried in their cemetery. He died on November 4, 1913.
Source: Folder 1 of the collection
The A.S. Kleppe Papers mainly consists of the ledger book for Kleppe's watch repair business, dating 1894-1907. The book measures 9.5 by 11.5 inches, and has the words "A.S. Kleppe Northwood, N.D." printed on the front cover. A hand written note on the free endpaper reads "Received Feb 27-94 A.S. Kleppe." The ledger lists over 1,2000 repairs; each entry typically includes the date, watch case, movements, customer name, item repair and the cost of repair. An index is included at the beginning of the book which lists each customer's name.
Also included is one folder of biographical material, as well as one folder containing documents related to the purchase of the ledger book by the Department of Special Collections, as well as material regarding the book's provenance.