The Golden Feather Club was organized on the UND campus in 1956 in an effort to bolster lagging school spirit. The club had it's constitution temporarily revoked in 1970 for harassing several campus sorority houses; however, the club was reinstated and changed it's name to the UND Feathers in 1971 in order to shed a tarnished image. UND was disbanded the Club in 1977 due to financial problems.
The main responsibility of the Golden Feather Club was selecting the University's cheerleading squads, but the club also performed many other activities, including: buying new cheerleading uniforms, presenting a $150 baseball scholarship, awarding the Bill Borovsky Memorial Trophy to the most valuable goalie in the Western Intercollegiate Hockey League (now the WCHA), organizing pep rallies, and routinely traveling to Fargo for basketball games and Minnesota for hockey games. In 1956 the Feathers split the cheerleading squads into freshmen and varsity teams. The club is also credited with creating the "Sammy the Sioux" mascot. The Feathers also organized the King Kold Karnival in 1968.
Donation; Acc.# 2000-2446