In 1906, a group of musicians in Pekin, North Dakota, decided to organize a band. They were incorporated in April 1911, at which time they chose the name of North Dakota State Band. The first elected officers were O. S. Hauge, President; P. A. Lee, Vice President; B. K. Enstad, Secretary; and O. E. Bergstrom, Treasurer. Professor W. H. Williams was band director at the time. A stand was erected in a lot in Pekin for rehearsal purposes. The band was invited to perform at fairs and other events in North Dakota communities and even performed in Manitoba. In 1913, the band participated in a Sons of Norway festival in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and was nearly selected to perform in Norway in 1914, but narrowly lost out to a band from Canada. After nearly 21 years, in April 1927, the remaining band members voted for dissolution.
Source: Pekin Jubilee History Committee. Pekin Golden Jubilee, 1906-1956, September 11-12. Pekin, ND: 1956.