The Sheyenne Telephone Company was established on October 28, 1905, with a meeting held in a Bergen Township schoolhouse. The first officers were S. H. Bjorlie, President; O. J. Hanson, Vice President; Ole Walhood, Treasurer; and B. K. Enstad, Secretary. The telephone office was located in the store of J. J. Elsaas in Pekin. In 1906, the first telephone lines were installed southwest of McVille along the Sheyenne River. Over the years, the company expanded from its base in Pekin to include other local communities. Eventually, the number of subscribers grew to about 800. At a stockholder meeting in April 1963, a resolution to dissolve the company and liquidate assets was passed. Final articles of dissolution were filed with the State of North Dakota on September 24, 1965.
Source: Pekin Jubilee History Committee. Pekin Golden Jubilee, 1906-1956, September 11-12. Pekin, ND: 1956.