Title: Courtenay Motor Company Records
ID: OGLMC 1587
Extent: 0.75 Linear Feet
Car dealership in Courtenay, North Dakota
Established December 1, 1909, the Courtenay Motor Company was a prosperous business in Courtenay. The founders were L. Prader, President; T.L. Stringer, Vice-President; and R.B. Milne, Secretary-Treasurer. The company primarily provided sales and service of Ford and Buick cars to the citizens of Stutsman County, though it also dabbled in trading livestock and land in the U.S. and Canada. It was one of the first Ford dealerships in North Dakota. The company kept records which showed trends in vehicle-related products and services. It was used by individuals and by organizations such as the State Highway Department and the Courtenay School District. Over the years, R.B. Milne became the sole owner of the company. The company flourished for approximately three and a half decades until his death. The company was then bequeathed to his wife, Helen Milne. Mrs. Milne, in turn, sold the company to Alden and William Anderson in 1945.
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the Rules and Regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Source: Gary Milne, Issaquah, Washington.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Courtenay Motor Company Records. OGLMC 1587, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Collection Material Type: Business Records
Scope and Contents: The Courtenay Motor Company Records contain documents detailing the company's creation such as bylaws, articles of incorporation, and how stock was first divided among the company's founders. There are also records of board meetings and exchanges of company stock. Two ledger books contain account information for individual customers. In addition, there are sales contracts, correspondence, and assorted financial records.