Records indicate the first school in Cavalier, North Dakota, was built by Mr. John Bechtel in 1875, beside his residence. Seven students attended the first winter, five being his own. The first frame school was built in the southwest corner of the town, and the first teacher was Mrs. Noah Johnson, Mr. Bechtel's daughter.
In the late nineteenth century, a frame building was built on the present school site. Around 1900, there was a need for additional rooms, and four more rooms were added. In 1936, the school district built a two-story brick building, accommodating grades one through twelve. More space was again needed, and in 1956 more classrooms, a large gym, a hot lunch kitchen, and a steel building were added.