The Association for Childhood Education International, first known as the International Kindergarten Union, was founded on July 15, 1892, in Saratoga Springs, New York. In 1931, the group merged with the National Council of Primary Education, and adopted the name Association for Childhood Education. In 1946, "International" was added to the organization's name, reflecting a concern regarding the reconstruction of educational facilities in war zones.
The group's stated mission is to promote and support the education and development of children, and to influence the professional growth of educators.
The first meeting of the University of North Dakota Student Chapter of the Association for Childhood Education International was held in October 1960. Membership was open to any full time student interested in the education and well being of children. The group sponsored workshops and visiting lecturers, and was also known for sending a decorated Christmas tree along with gifts to the Grafton State School.
The 1963 edition of the Dacotah annual reported that the group had the best attendance of any campus organization. Membership fluctuated throughout the 1960s, with a high of approximately 150 in 1964, and a low of 62 in 1966. The club was in existence at least until 1971.
Donation; November 11, 1985 (Acc. #85-1422)