The United Hospital is the result of a consolidation between St. Michael's and Deaconess Hospital. In 1892, the Deaconess Hospital was founded, while St. Michael's Hospital opened in December 1907. In 1966, James A. Hamilton Associates recommended that Deaconess Hospital build a new structure next to St. Michael's Hospital. In 1969, Herman Smith Associates stated in their reports to the Community Health Planning Council that the two hospitals consolidate and build a new facility on a new site.
As a result of the growing community and region, Deaconess Hospital, St. Michael's Hospital, the Grand Forks Clinic, and the University of North Dakota Medical Center Rehabilitation discussed the problems of lack of space for expansion. In 1971, Deaconess and St. Michael's Hospitals became legally, but not physically, one United Hospital. Organizers broke ground for the first facility on Medical Park, a 90-acre campus of medical services and facilities including an acute care hospital, a rehabilitation hospital, a large specialty clinic, an orthopedic clinic, a family practice clinic, a nursing home, a chemical dependency center and a senior living center.
In 1977, United Hospital organized the first paramedic training program in North Dakota. Cardiac services had expanded to include open heart surgery by 1988. The United Hospital is now known as Altru Hospital and is part of Altru Health System.
Source: They Came to Stay, Grand Forks, North Dakota, Centennial 1874-1974