John Silas Lundy was born on July 6, 1894, in Inkster, North Dakota. He was the son of Dr. Fred and Lila Lundy. He graduated from the University of North Dakota in June 1917 with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the School of Medicine. He received his medical degree from the Rush Medical College at the University of Chicago in 1920.
Later that year, Dr. Lundy moved to Seattle, Washington. In 1924, he was named head of the section on anesthesia at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. He served in that position until 1952, and was a pioneer in the use of sodium pentothal. He also established the first blood bank in 1935, and the first post-anesthesia recovery room in 1942.
John Lundy was a prodigious author, who was estimated to have written one paper every six weeks during his professional career. He authored a textbook entitled Clinical Anesthesia, established Anasthesia Abstracts, and was an editor for a section of the Journal-Lancet. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Kappa Kappa, and Sigma Xi. He received an honorary doctor of science degree from UND in 1948. He retired from the Mayo Clinic in 1959.
He married Lenore Mittelstadt of St. Paul, Minnesota, on September 5, 1925. The couple had three children: Richard Allen, Joan Lenore, and John Charles. Dr. John S. Lundy died in Seattle in April 1973.