The Grafton Riverside Women's Club was organized on March 27, 1924, at the home of Mrs. Henry Jaster. Riverside was the second Homemaker's club organized in Walsh County. With the purpose of starting a homemaker's club in mind, their objectives were to improve their homes, schools, churches, and the community. To become a member, one had to attend the meetings on the last Thursday of every month and pay ten cent dues each month.
Each club year began in October and ended in September. At the first meeting, fourteen members present. A motto chosen was "Practical Project Prove Profitable," and one of their first project lessons was making cheese. A typical meeting began with roll call by the payment of dues. The pledge of allegiance was then given, followed by the singing of one verse of the Star Spangled Banner. The club Creed was then read, and the treasurer's report was given next. Thank you notes and miscellaneous correspondence were read following the treasurer's report. Old business was discussed, followed by new business. After the adjourning of the meeting, a lunch was served by the hostesses.
In addition to their weekly meetings, the Grafton Riverside Women's Club made donations to other groups and organizations, such as 4-H clubs. They also sponsored Girls' State attendees and the Hugh O'Brian conventions, as well as International Music Camp.
The club was disbanded in the fall of 1994 by the three remaining members, Agnes Davis, Mazel Neilson, and Betty Odegaard.
The Grafton Riverside Women's Club Records date from 1924-1995. The collection consists of record books, which contain meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, club members' notes, and club songs. Also included are meeting programs, correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographs, statistical reports, club histories, annual reports, and many scrapbooks. The material was directly related mostly to the local club, but some district and state material was also included.
The material was arranged with the local club first, followed by District I, then the North Dakota State General Federation of Women's Clubs. Also, 34 scrapbooks from the Riverside Club, dated 1931-1995, were arranged into the final 12 boxes.