The Alpha Phi Sorority was formed in 1872 at Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York. The objectives of the group are to promote the growth of character, unity of feeling, sisterly affection, and social communion. The group seeks a strong feeling of sisterhood with all of its members and strives to "obey God's principles of justice and right." The Alpha Phi Sorority now has chapters throughout the United States and Canada, and former members have become leaders in many professions, including business, entertainment, medicine and sports.
The Pi Chapter of the Alpha Phi Sorority originated on the University of North Dakota campus in February 1906. First known as the Phi Kappa Chi club, the organization was founded by a group of girls interested in the "true spirit of fellowship." Membership in this group was limited to 20, and the group sought to secure female campus leaders for its membership.
The club formally joined the Alpha Phi Sorority on June 15, 1911, during Commencement Week. The Pi Chapter became the first national women's fraternal organization on campus. All existing members of Phi Kappa Chi were installed in the sorority; the first initiation of members not originally affiliated with Phi Kappa Chi occurred on October 14, 1911. In 1920, the Pi Chapter purchased a chapterhouse in Grand Forks, after renting various homes for several years. In 1928, they moved to their present location, 2626 University Avenue.
The Pi Chapter has been active in supporting various causes and charities throughout the Greater Grand Forks Community. It has participated in local toy drives during the Christmas season and donated funds to the UND Medical School. One cause which both the Pi Chapter and the entire Alpha Phi organization have made a top priority is the issue of heart disease. The Pi Chapter has been responsible for raising funds and awareness about this affliction throughout its history. A week long philanthropic drive occurs the week before Valentine's Day on an annual basis.
The Pi Chapter remains active on the UND campus.
The Alpha Phi Sorority Records have been divided into three series as follows:
Series 1: Scrapbooks
Series 2: Photographs
Series 3: Membership Records
Series 1: Scrapbooks, 1910-1964
Series 2: Photographs
Series 3: Membership Records, 1911-1947