The Bathgate Study Club was organized on October 30, 1911, by Miss Ella M. Robertson. The Club's colors were purple and white, and a white carnation was chosen as the club flower. The Bathgate Study Club joined the North Dakota Federation of Women's Club in 1912 and the General Federation of Women's Clubs in 1914.
The Bathgate Study Club initiated the "Free" Public Library in Bathgate on June 11, 1915, when the Club received the Pictorial Review Prize of $250.00 for the best definition of "Home". This remained the club's primary project for many years. The library opened January 6, 1916, and for nine years the Club maintained the Free Public Library without benefit of funds from city or county. In 1937, the Club purchased a new library building just south of City Hall, in the former office of Central Lumber Company. This was done with the assistance of O.M. Shanks. The Club remodeled the building and opened it to the public in the fall of 1937. The Club's continuous goal was to purchase new books for the library. The library stayed opened until the Bathgate School District closed in 1964.
The Bathgate Study Club conducted formal studies of many subjects, including the Constitution of the United States, folk music, and socialized medicine. The Club held social events and fundraisers, picnics, teas, food sales, parties, concerts, rummage sales, and minstrel shows. These helped pay for library building repairs and books. In its quest to build a better community, the Club also purchased empty city lots upon which members built a community playground.
The Study Club supported a few causes: a girl's 4-H Club, Camp Grassick, North Dakota's Children's Home, Crippled Children's Home, Veterans Hospital, Polio Fund, Cancer Drive, Heart Fund, Red Cross, North Dakota Girls State, and local and county clinics. The Club was also very supportive of World War II. The Study Club was registered as one hundred percent for National Defense, went over the top on the sale of war bonds, and conducted book drives for men and women in the service.
Donation; Acc #95-2044
The Bathgate Study Club Records mainly consist of scrapbooks dating from 1938-1959. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings that describe the Study Club's projects, activities, and accomplishments. Since Bathgate did not have a newspaper, most of the clippings are from the Grand Forks Herald. The scrapbooks also contain both individual photographs of members, as well as group photographs. In 1950, the Club took first place in a scrapbook contest sponsored by the North Dakota Federation of Women's Clubs.
The Club’s undated By-Laws, meeting minutes from 1933-1937 and 1958-1962, and financial records for both the Club and the Public Library are also included. A miscellaneous folder contains various yearbooks, the 1976-1976 annual report, and undated two act play regarding the history of the Club.