- Record Groups
- UND Archives
- Old Science Hall
Old Science Hall, 1999-2001
Groundbreaking for Science Hall took place in June 1901, with construction completed early the following year. The building addressed a need on the UND campus for additional classroom space. It was designed by architect Charles Sumner Sedgwick of Minneapolis in the Classical Revival style. Departments of physics, chemistry, biology, and botany, along with mechanical engineering, occupied various portions of the building from the onset. By the 1950s, cracks had developed in the building's facade, and campus leaders began discussing whether Science Hall could be renovated or, instead, should be demolished.
In 1998, Old Science Hall was approved for the State Historic Sites Registry following a submission from the Grand Forks Historic Preservation Commission. After the destruction caused by the 1997 flood, there was greater awareness of preserving historic buildings in Grand Forks. Nevertheless, UND leadership continued to press for demolition of the building because of the costs associated with renovations and satisfying current building codes. After initial approval for demolition, the State Board of Higher Education directed UND to postpone razing until additional studies were performed for potential use of the building. In January 1999, the State Historical Board approved the petition by UND for demolition of Old Science Hall with the caveat that thorough documentation of the architectural features take place prior to demolition. Old Science Hall was razed in May and June 1999.
Donation (Sandy was a member of the ad hoc committee established by President Baker)