The Women's Literary Club of Northwood was organized in March 1905 and in 1922 became the first club in Northwood to become part of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. The purpose of the group was to facilitate intellectual growth for its members and develop moral and social movements that were helpful for women in the community.
At the beginning, the programs for the Women's Literary Club strictly involved literature and arts, but later included outreach activities and community service. In an effort to include community service, the organization sponsored the first public health meeting which later resulted in the founding of the original Anti-Tuberculosis (T.B.) League in North Dakota.
Source: Northwood Diamond Jubilee, 1884-1959