Title: Institute for Indian Studies Records
ID: UA 024
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
The Institute for Indian Studies was established at UND in 1959. Professor James Howard of the Sociology Department was chair of the organizing committee. The Institute sought to promote research on Native American issues, preserve Indigenous culture, and sponsor activities and exchanges. It offered a scholarship to a student with Native American ancestry, and sponsored an art show by Oscar Howe of the University of South Dakota. Despite initial interest among various faculty, the organization experienced a significant decline in active members during 1960 and eventually disbanded.
Subjects (links to similar collections)
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Institute for Indian Studies Records. UA 24. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid added to Archon in 2020.
Collection Material Type: University of North Dakota Records