Obert C. Teigen Papers, 1940-1978
Primary Creator: Teigen, Obert C. (1908-1978)
Extent: 5.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 06/00/1980. More info below under Accruals.
The papers of Judge Teigen include personal, legal and judicial correspondence, reporter speeches, opinion notebooks, published materials, and memorabilia arranged alphabetically and dating from 1940 to 1978.
Forty four photographs were separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets. One folder of oversized certificates was placed in the Oversized File Cabinets.
Obert C. Teigen was born on September 27, 1908 near Felon, North Dakota. He graduated from Edmore High School in 1927. Five years later he earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of North Dakota and in 1934 he received a L.L.B. from the School of Law at the University.
Shortly after he was admitted to the North Dakota Bar, Teigen served as a caseworker for the Federal Emergency Relief Administration in Ramsey County. From 1937 to 1943 he served as State's Attorney for Ramsey County. In 1943 he accepted an appointment as a Special Agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation and was assigned to the Chicago and Detroit areas for approximately one year.
In 1947 he established a law practice in Devils Lake. Seven years later he was appointed U.S. District Judge by Governor Norman Brunsdale. In 1959 Governor John Davis appointed him Associate Justice of the North Dakota Supreme Court. He was elected to two ten year terms beginning in 1960. In 1966 he was elected Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, a position he held until 1971. Teigen continued his service on the Supreme Court until his resignation in July 1974.
Following his retirement from the Supreme Court, Teigen accepted a position as Administration Judge for the Social Security Administration. In February 1978 he was forced to resign his position as a result of ill health and died a few months later on May 26, 1978.
Access Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Source: Mrs. Obert Teigen, Bismarck, North Dakota
Acquisition Method: Donation; Acc.80-660
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Obert C. Teigen Papers. OGLMC 579, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid migrated to Archon in February 2015.
Browse by Box:
[Oversize Folder 1],
- Photographs :
- Separated and placed in the Photograph File Cabinets
- Photograph 1: Conference of Chief Justices, 1966
- Photograph 2: Conference of Chief Justices, 1967
- Photograph 3: Teigen and Dr. Kenneth D. Wells, undated
- Photograph 4: National Awards Jury Freedoms Foundation, 1967
- Photograph 5: Conference of Chief Justices, 1968
- Photograph 6: Conference of Chief Justices, 1969
- Photograph 7: Conference of Chief Justices, 1969
- Photograph 8: Conference of Chief Justices, 1970
- Photograph 9: Chief Justices, undated
- Photograph 10: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1957
- Photograph 11: Supreme Court of North Dakota
- Photograph 12: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1963
- Photograph 13: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1959
- Photograph 14: Supreme Court meeting with Moot Court participants, 1964
- Photograph 15: Chief Justice and politician, 1967
- Photograph 16: Chief Justice and politician, 1969
- Photograph 17: Unidentified group, 1967
- Photograph 18: Teigen swearing in North Dakota Governor Bill Guy, 1969
- Photograph 19: Unidentified group, 1967
- Photograph 20: Unidentified group, 1969
- Photograph 21: Unidentified group, autographed by North Dakota Governor Bill Guy, 1972
- Photograph 22: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1972
- Photograph 23: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1972
- Photograph 24: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1974
- Photograph 25: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1974
- Photograph 26: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1974
- Photograph 27: Supreme Court of North Dakota, 1974
- Photograph 28: Federal Court Justices, undated
- Photograph 29: Teigen, undated
- Photograph 30: Teigen, undated
- Photograph 31: Teigen and Awards Jury of Freedoms Foundation, 1965
- Photograph 32: North Dakota Supreme Court, 1966
- Photograph 33: Awards Jury, 1965
- Photograph 34: Conference of Chief Justices, 1965
- Photograph 35: Unidentified group, undated
- Photograph 36: Unidentified group, 1961
- Photograph 37: Elks Loyalty Day Program, 1974
- Photograph 38: Elks Loyalty Day Program, 1974
- Photograph 39: Teigen, Mrs. Teigen, and Congressman Thomas Kleppe, 1969
- Photograph 40: Teigen receiving award from ND State Senator Evan Lips, 1973
- Photograph 41: T. W. Marrissey in Teigen's law office, undated
- Photograph 42: Teigen, 1959
- Photograph 43: Teigen, 1959
- Photograph 44: Teigen with ND Governor John Davis, 1960
Browse by Box:
[Oversize Folder 1],