Title: Grand Forks Oratorio Society Records
ID: OGLMC 412
Extent: 2.0 Folders
Materials of a choral society.
Responding to requests for the creation of a choral group, the Grand Forks Oratorio Society was established in 1907. In May of that year, the inaugural spring music festival was held at the Metropolitan Opera House. Professor George A. Stout of Wesley College was the first conductor, while John W. Ogren was the first choir master. Ogren later became president of the society. Perhaps the most significant involvement of the Oratorio Society in the community was its leadership role for a new auditorium. As a result, the Grand Forks Auditorium was built at what was then North Fifth Street and Dakota Avenue and was completed in time for the third festival in May 1909. The Grand Forks Oratorio Society appears to have remained active into the 1920s.
Acquired: 09/14/1977. Several music festival programs were transferred from the Dr. Alice Hunter Papers, OGLMC 370, Box 7, Folder 2
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Source: Unknown; 77-428.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Grand Forks Oratorio Society Records. OGLMC 412, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid added to Archon in January 2016.
Collection Material Type: Organizational Records
Scope and Contents: The Grand Forks Oratorio Society Records primarily consist of programs from their annual music festivals, typically held in May. The collection also includes a booklet summarizing the financing and use of the Grand Forks Auditorium, a project spearheaded by the Oratorio Society. Additionally, there is later correspondence regarding the ownership of the Auditorium.