Title: Greater Grand Forks Coin Club Records
ID: OGLMC 1511
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Grand Forks area club started in 1959 for collectors to buy, sell, trade, and exhibit coins.
The Greater Grand Forks Coin Club was a nonprofit organization started in 1959 by Homer Reese, Larry Berg, and John Bonneville. In 1975, the name was changed to the Forx Coin Club. The purpose of the club was to buy, sell, and trade coins; the club also held annual shows in Grand Forks and Fargo where they sold their own wooden collector's nickels. Although the last show was held in 1999, the club continued to have their annual family picnic until 2006.
Subjects (links to similar collections)
Restrictions: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections.
Acquisition Note: Source: Ellen Kotrba (on behalf of Jeanne Kotrba), Warren, Minnesota.
Preferred Citation: (Description of Item). Greater Grand Forks Coin Club Records. OGLMC 1511, Box #, Folder #. Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
Finding Aid Revisions: Finding aid added to Archon in December 2014.
Collection Material Type: Organizational Records
Scope and Contents: The Greater Grand Forks Coin Club Records date from 1982 to 2006, although a majority of the early records were destroyed in the 1997 Red River Valley Flood. Materials include the Club's constitution, historical documents, and executive, secretarial, and financial information. There is also information on the annual shows the club planned, membership cards, annual picnic information, and correspondence to the club. Finally, there is a newspaper article on one of the members of the club. Thirty-one photographs were separated and added to the Orin G. Libby Photograph Collection.