Romness Township was settled in 1880 by Peter Mathison, a government surveyor, and John Hogenson. Mathison named the township after his wife's birthplace of Romness, Norway. Romness Township contains the second highest point in the county, Mount Franklin, and has the Sheyenne River crossing it diagonally.
The Romness School District was created May 26, 1886, at a meeting in Cooperstown. Romness had one ungraded school which taught 45 days with 17 pupils enrolled, ranging in age from 6 to 32. The first teacher was J.H. Thomas, whose salary was thirty-five dollars a month. The Romness School District had three schoolhouses with the first being built in 1883, the second in 1900, and the last in 1903. The rural school closed in 1957.