Grand Forks College opened its doors in 1892 as a multipurpose college. It functioned as a preparatory school and a classical college, and also educated students in science, business and teaching. This was all provided with a Lutheran background. The college was located on six acres on Belmont Road, just south of Grand Forks. It was a three-story brick building with both residential and classroom space. When it officially opened, there were 160 students enrolled, and it accepted both students who had or had not previously attended college. Enrollment, however, dropped to 72 students by 1904 and the college continued to struggle with competition from the University of North Dakota. It was forced to close its doors in 1911.
Source: Yvette LaPierre, "Grand Forks College: 1891 to 1911," Merrifield Competition Papers Collection, OGLMC 1289, Box 1, Folder 73